Monday, June 16, 2008

memelicious

Interestingly (or not, but just play along for now), I've been tagged by two people to do this book meme [which I have done before, but I was sick and it went badly]. So Tootsie at Vintage Thirty and Pinki at Love the Eclectic Life have given me another chance. Let's see how it goes.

Rules:

1. Pick up the nearest book.
2. Open to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people, and acknowledge who tagged you.

from Spunk & Bite - A writer's guide to bold, contemporary style (a gift from my very good writer friend Lisa, who I will later tag *shhh, foreshadowing*) -

"(...In that study, the overall rate of intensification was the same, as were the three most-used intensifiers, though they were used with differing frequency: very was the most common, followed by really and so.) The 2004 study also posited that it was female speakers who initiated the rise of so as the great American intensifier (see sidebar, "The So-Special Case of so," below). Just because intensifiers course through informal speech, must we also use them in journalism and literature?"

I realize that is not an invigorating example, but it is a [very] interesting book about the writing craft. I will use parts of it to teach a better short story class next year.

And now, drumroll please. I'm asking the following outstanding bloggesses to dig into their nearest books and play the game:

Blog This Mom!
For the Love of Pete
Mama Milton
Katydidnot
The World According to Suz